Health & Safety - Compliance
Health and safety is paramount to the service we deliver to customers at Black County Housing Group. This was the case before the Grenfell Tower tragedy and is in even sharper focus now.
Health and safety can cover many things, from hazards that someone could trip over, to maintaining fire alarms and even anti social behaviour. This part of the website deals with 'compliance'. Meaning how we manage our properties or assets in relation to:
Fire safety, electrical safety, door entry systems, water safety, asbestos, ,gas safety, passenger lifts and lifting equipment. In order to comply with our obligations we require the help and support of customers:
Renting a house
To let our contractors in first time to complete the annual gas safety inspection and 5 yearly electrical testing programme. We will take legal action if necessary to gain access and the cost of this will be your responsibility to pay.
Renting a flat
To keep communal areas clear and not to use meter cupboards for storage. Mobility scooters must not be stored in, and absolutely never be charged in communal areas.
To ask staff and contractors for identification and call your Customer Relations Manager if in any doubt.
If any equipment gets damaged to tell us what has happened and how, including reporting criminal damage to Police.
To have your gas installations serviced annually by a gas safe engineer. To have your electrics inspected periodically - We recommend every 5 years for properties more than 10 years old.
Spotting a problem
If you have read the above and feel that we have missed something or that we could do things better please email firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to one of the key contacts below.
- The repairs line for reporting repairs, e.g. if a roof tile has fallen, there is a lose slab on the pathway leading to your front door.
- National grid if ever you smell gas.
- General needs customers living in houses or blocks - your Customer Relations Manager.
- Living in retirement housing - your Scheme Manager.
- Living in supported housing - the Supported Living Manager.
- Living in accommodation Black Country Housing Group owns and is managed by an agency such as YMCA or Women's Aid - the manager of your service.
- Living in one of our care homes at Gower Gardens or New Bradley Hall - the registered manager for each.
Did you know we have a health and safety panel which meets regularly. Any colleague can access the panel through the representative for their area of the business and so if there is a problem or query we can always get to the bottom of it.
Health and safety is not as exciting as having a new kitchen or bathroom but it is just as important. We hope this information helps you understand why we invest significant levels of staff time and money resources in health and safety.